I'm not sure if I have blogged about this recently, but I started working at a daycare a few weeks ago. I have worked at daycare for the last 5 years over every summer. I LOVE little children (thank goodness because I am growing one, right?). Anyways, the last three weeks has been a nightmare.
Maybe it's the kids I got this year. I have never worked with first graders before, nor have I been pregnant and worked with children before. However, no matter how many excuses I come up with for their behavior I have to step back and remember sometimes kids just need a lot of redirection.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my job even with it's challenges. I love my co-workers (sometimes) even though they can't keep count of their children and whats the number one rule when it comes to child care? Count, count count!
But even with it's negatives there are a lot of rewarding moments. I love getting hugs and being told that they love me. How can you not love having small children hug you all day? However, I'm not so sure Walker likes my class very much. It seems that they are constantly poking him (I think it's because most first graders are right at belly button height) and he kicks back. I love the random quotes (I was told today that they hope my baby doesn't come out Chinese. Um say what? haha)
In all honesty, even through the hard times I love these kids. I know that someday they will look back and remember me in their lives (hopefully) I really want to make a positive impact. When they begin to frustrate me I try to think about that moment in the long run. Even though they may not be listening to me, they will remember how I reacted in that moment. If I scream and yell, they will only listen out of fear. If I try to reason and explain, maybe I will get them to listen out of respect. I prefer respect to fear any day.

HAHA LOVE THE PICTURE!!! I've been working in daycare for 14 years. And I have to say, that last pic is actually putting it mildly lol. It's how you feel on the inside anyway lol. And I can't imagine what it is like to do that job pregnant...OH.MY.GOSH.SERIOUSLY.
ReplyDelete